State
Standard 2.A. is something that excites and scares me at the same time. I think
I need to be brave enough to “Use digital media and environments to communicate
and work collaboratively, across the global community, to support individual
learning and contribute to the learning of others. To interact and collaborate
with peers, experts, or others employing a variety of digital environments and
media.”
I
feel like an old dog and this is a new trick, to me anyway. Now I have to teach
this trick? The most collaborating we’ve done is on a site called ‘Storybird’,
where kids can write a story and ask classmates to join in and write it with
them or leave comments. It’s safe enough because only they can read and comment
with each other in their own class. I’m a little more than protective over my
kids, and I’m not sure that even I feel safe out there in the ‘global community’.
I have to use it and trust it before I can let my kids out into it. They are
much braver about all of this than I am, I’m sure, but what they learn is ultimately
my responsibility.
Storybird sounds like a great way for your students to get their feet wet collaborating online!
ReplyDelete